Tuesday, August 18, 2026

Egypt Can't Stop Ethiopia's Nile Dam


Despite Africa's most powerful military, Cairo faces insurmountable obstacles in confronting the Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam. Geography, logistics, and humanitarian risks have turned a potential conflict into a prolonged cold war. Millions of Egyptians depend entirely on the Nile River for survival, and upstream sits a massive concrete structure threatening to reshape Africa's entire water balance. Yet despite what seems like an inevitable military showdown, the complex realities of the Horn of Africa have created an impasse between overwhelming force and strategic victory.

According to Global Firepower rankings, Egypt commands Africa's most formidable military. It's arsenal includes cutting-edge technology, devastating firepower, modern aircraft, and advanced air defense systems. Egyptian forces operate French-made Rafale fighters armed with SCALP/Storm Shadow cruise missiles, upgraded F-16s, M1A1 Abrams tanks, S-300, Buk, and Tor air defense batteries, alongside submarines, advanced warships, and A330 MRTT aerial refueling tankers. Ethiopia's military, by contrast, relies largely on older Soviet and Russian equipment, including T-72 tanks and Su-27 fighters. However, Addis Ababa has significantly upgraded its drone capabilities with Turkish-made Bayraktar TB2s and additional systems from China and the United Arab Emirates. Ethiopia also brings proven combat experience from brutal internal conflicts, partially offsetting its technological disadvantage.

The geographic barrier presents the most critical obstacle preventing direct confrontation. Between 2,000 and 2,500 kilometers separate Egypt's main bases from the Benishangul-Gumuz region where the Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam (GERD) stands. Such distance demands complex logistical arrangements, including aerial refueling or forward operating bases. While Cairo has recently strengthened strategic ties with Somalia and Eritrea and maintains open channels with Sudan, executing an operation remains extraordinarily complicated. Beyond logistics, physically destroying the dam itself would be catastrophic: the concrete structure already holds massive water volumes. Complete destruction could unleash devastating floods that would obliterate entire communities in Sudan and directly threaten Egyptian territory. (Read More)

____________________________

Dr. Bill Salus comments:

More than 95% of Egypt's population lives along the Nile River and the fertile Nile Delta. This dense group occupies just a small fraction—about 4% to 5%—of the country's total land area, while the rest of Egypt is mostly empty desert.

Could this dire developing scenario between Ethiopia and Egypt lead to the fulfillment of an ancient prophecy in Ezekiel 29?

“Speak, and say, ‘Thus says the Lord God: “Behold, I am against you, O Pharaoh king (leader) of Egypt, O great monster who lies in the midst of his rivers, Who has said, ‘My River (likely the Nileis my own; I have made it for myself.’ But I will put hooks in your jaws, And cause the fish of your rivers to stick to your scales; I will bring you up out of the midst of your rivers, And all the fish in your rivers will stick to your scales. I will leave you in the wilderness, You and all the fish of your rivers; You shall fall on the open field; You shall not be picked up or gathered. I have given you as food To the beasts of the field And to the birds of the heavens. “Then all the inhabitants of Egypt Shall know that I am the Lord, Because they have been a staff of reed to the house of Israel. 

‘Therefore thus says the Lord God: “Surely I will bring a sword (war) upon you and cut off from you man and beast. And the land of Egypt shall become desolate and waste; then they will know that I am the Lord, because he said, ‘The River (likely the Nileis mine, and I have made it. Indeed, therefore, I am against you and against your rivers, and I will make the land of Egypt utterly waste and desolatefrom Migdol to Syene (see map below), as far as the border of Ethiopia. Neither foot of man shall pass through it nor foot of beast pass through it, and it shall be uninhabited forty years.  I will make the land of Egypt desolate in the midst of the countries that are desolate; and among the cities that are laid waste, her cities shall be desolate forty years; and I will scatter the Egyptians among the nations and disperse them throughout the countries.”” (Ezekiel 29:3-12, NKJV; emphasis added)