A defiant Iran declared on Saturday it will continue its ballistic missile program, even after UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-Moon said that the missile tests are not in the spirit of the country's landmark nuclear deal with world powers, The Associated Press reports.
"Iran will strongly continue its missile program based on its own defense and national security calculations," foreign ministry spokesman Bahram Ghasemi said in comments published on the ministry's website.
Iran's missile program is not linked to the nuclear deal and does not conflict with the UN Security Council resolution endorsing the agreement, stressed Ghasemi.
"Iran's missile program has aimed at defense and it is not designed to carry a nuclear warhead," he added, according to AP.
Ban's report, issued late last week, said Iran's recent ballistic missile tests were inconsistent with the nuclear deal it signed with world powers. READ MORE